Ophthalmology is an area of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the eye and the rest of the visual system. So much of what we do in our lives depends on being able to see. Without vision, we lose a significant part of living. The same is true for non-human animals.
Our aim is to treat your pet’s eye problem as we would for our own pets – to relieve pain, and to maintain, or restore, the best possible vision.
Our Ophthalmology service offers standard and advanced diagnostic tests in conjunction with routine, complex and emergency care for a wide range of ocular conditions, including:
- Cataract and lens luxation surgery
- Entropion/ectropion – routine and complex
- Third eyelid surgery including “cherry eye”
- Abnormal eyelashes (cryosurgery, electrolysis)
- Corneal disease – medical and surgical management including a range of grafting techniques for complex corneal ulcers
- Surgical management of refractory “dry eye”
- Management of ocular tumours
- Management of ocular trauma
- Sudden onset blindness
- Neuro-ophthalmic disease
- Laser therapy
- BVA/KC/ISDS hereditary eye disease clinics
This is facilitated by an extensive range of specialist equipment – including a Zeiss operating microscope with a camera and video recording facilities and our “Whitestar Signature Pro” phacoemulsification unit for cataracts surgery.
Our Ophthalmology service is provided by Heidi Featherstone and Marisa Perez Orrico. It operates a 24-7-365 emergency service, and the Ophthalmology team are supported by the wider team including clinicians from our other services where appropriate. We are very happy to discuss cases, and specific problems, with referring vets.